Introductions..!

Hello everyone! I’m Jamie, and I’m one of the directors of Open Data Manchester. I’m really into making better use of data, especially open data, through toolbuilding, storytelling, visualisation, and more recently audiolisation, and I’m also into standards. Feel free to comment below with an intro to yourself…

2 Likes

Hi everyone :wave:t3:
I’m Sophie, I’m the project manager at Open Data Manchester (part time) and the COO and Co-Founder of Dsposal (part time).
With my Dsposal hat on I’m interested in improving the data we have on waste and resources, developing open data standards for the industry and building software that makes doing the right thing with waste easier for everyone.
With my ODM hat on I like supporting the rest of the ODM team to deliver the wide range of interesting projects we have going on.
Looking forward to connecting with you all and sharing our experiences of all things open data :grinning:

1 Like

Hi everyone!

I’m Nathan, I’m a PhD candidate at the Institute for Data Science and Artificial Intelligence at the University of Manchester. I also work with the Open Data Manchester team on the Our Streets Chorton project.

I’m interested in citizen science, forecasting, exploring statistical methodology for new and unconventional (non-survey) forms of data, contemporary debates in philosophy of statistics, open-sourced software (in particular R and Julia languages), civil tech, communicating uncertainty, and cooking :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey folks - I’m Kirsty Styles, working with ODM on their comms. If you see anything amusing in the newsletter, I wrote it, and Julian our CEO tried to take it out :slight_smile:

Also doing a PhD, lecturing, causing mischief…

1 Like

Hello I’m Julian one of the co-founders and CEO of Open Data Manchester. Interested in too many things - which is a good and bad thing.

1 Like

Hi Kirsty - welcome to the community. Discourse told me to do it :slight_smile:

Hello everyone, I’m Gilly. I’ve been a python enthusiast for the last couple of years and currently undertaking some more formal training to become a Data Engineer. Would love to contribute to projects and expand my skills. If I can contribute to anything do let me know!

2 Likes

Hello Gilly, welcome to the ODM Discourse. As you can see we have only just started using it so the discussion is pretty sparse at present, but do post questions, comment etc.

1 Like

Hi
I’m John, I’ve been doing a personal project on Local Council Spending data(in N W England), trying to clean it up and make it comparable across councils.
I write about it here and post cleansed files here. Plans for this year include a new improved matching method for company names and concentrating on fewer councils. Current tools are PostgreSQL and shell scripts, looking to move to Python and learn some Rstats and improve my visualisation skills.

2 Likes

Hi John, welcome. You probably already have seen the Pick n Mix series of videos that we produced last year, these introduce people to python and various data techniques and we are looking at doing another series in the near future. The blog looks epic and it would be interesting to see if there are other people who would be interested in looking into council spend data.

Interesting that you use SIC codes as a proxy for spend categories. Have you done any analysis of spending profiles of LAs by SIC code to understand if there are similarities between different LAs?

Hi all, I’m Alan and I joined this group after attending last week’s Politics, Policy and the Algorithm event. I live in Manchester and recently became Insight Manager at Friends of the Earth, with my role being primarily focussed on how we can use internal data to improve what we do, particularly around data-led decisions and predictive analytics. However, at FOE we are also looking at how we can make better use of open data to improve our activism and help inform local authorities’ thinking on climate and nature policy, so I’m interested in exploring this area too.

When I’m not busy being a numbers geek my time is mostly spent with our 9 month old Labrador named Zeus, who has taken over our lives since we adopted him last month. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Hello Alan, welcome to the Open Data Manchester community. If you have any data related questions/thoughts please post them and hope to see you at tomorrow’s event - it looks like it will be a good one.

1 Like

Hi Julian, yes I attended some of the pick’n’mix they gave me some ideas for for this. I initially tried to do all councils in the north west but it’s just too much for me, so this year I’m scaling back to probably do Manchester/Liverpool and Cheshire. I’m just finishing a post about Categories which should be out soon. The SIC codes is probably the easiest way, I did a Flourish treemap visualisation for Greater Manchester here - it’s not quite right but you get the idea, you can see the differences between some councils eg big constructors(Manchester) vs others that do more ‘Human/Social activities’ also you can see the big redactors, the drill down doesn’t do what I wanted it doesn’t show the companies just the amounts.

Hi, my name is Ollie - originally from NZ but living in Manchester. At uni I studied a range of things such as applied math, statistics, philosophy, economics, data science. Have about 6 years of experience working for central govt and the private sector (tools of choice: R, SQL, Power BI).

Interested in the crossover between community and data and hope to contribute to some of the projects I’ve seen on here. I wouldn’t say I’m an expert in anything in particular but have exposure in data warehousing/ETL, basic machine learning, Geospatial analysis, working with APIs/web scraping, dashboarding and UX, recently have been learning python online aswell. Nice to meet everyone!

1 Like

Hi Ollie, great to meet and pleased that you can join us. Please do chip in if you have any suggestions